Saturday 11 October 2014

Farewell Kids in Glass Houses

So I'll apologise In advance as this is going to be a long post but hopefully you'll like it. So a few months back Kids in Glass houses announced they were splitting up. But first they were going to do a farewell tour. There were loads of dates including Nottingham Rescue rooms which is one of my fave venues, so we just had to go. A Couple of weeks ago they announced they were doing soundtrack parties limited to 50 people for a few of the venues including Nottingham. Giving the fans a final chance to get up close and and personal with the band by taking requests to soundcheck and doing a meet and greet. Luckily I work in Nottingham so was already near the venue and my friends had managed to get out of work early as the soundcheck started at 4.30pm. Alice and I were a little early so went for a browse in Urban Outfitters and ended up getting a photo in the booth. It ended up as bad as my last attempt with my ridiculous faces. 


Afterwards we went to Rescue rooms ready for the soundcheck and Sophie arrived just in time. There seemed to be less than 50 people and it was a little awkward at first being stood in the middle of the nearly empty room with the band on stage. They spoke to us all asking what songs we wanted them to do and it felt more relaxed as they got into it. I think they were just as nervous about it as they had never done it before. Aled asked if anyone played an instrument and wanted to play with them but it seemed the room was talentless or too scared and nobody volunteered. A girl did say she'd like to sing with them though and went on stage to sing 'lovely bones'. I wish I had any sort of musical talent at this point as I'd of loved to have done that. The band came and chatted to us all and got photos after the soundcheck and it was nice to experience something a little bit different especially as we knew we wouldn't be seeing them again. 







We had a couple of hours to kill before the actual gig so decided to go for food. We went to one of my favourite bars pitcher and piano and had the spicy Buttermilk chicken, acccompanied by my fave fruit cider, it was yummy.


After we'd eaten we decided to go to another fave The boilermaker for a cocktail, being the rubbish timekeepers we are we were already pushing it for time and looking at the extensive cocktail menu didn't help. I decided to go for '99 problems put a flake in one'. I took one sip and it tasted like pure coffee which I was not expecting, my own fault I know (the description did say espresso). I was so disappointed as I've loved every drink from there, so I decided to test my luck and ask the bartender if there was anything he could do. He was so nice about it and said it was their take on a White Russian and had fresh espresso in (hence the intense flavour), he offered to swap it for me so I decided to go for the classic White Russian. It came and was exactly what I expected the first drink to be, rich, creamy and super tasty. I did have to down it and leave for the gig though. 


We rushed as fast as we could to the venue feeling super full, but shocker they were already on as we arrived but I think we only missed a couple of songs. As we entered the venue it was absolutely packed and the heat hit you so hard. I hadn't seen it that busy for years. We tried to find a spot where we could see, we went onto the balcony which was even hotter and we still couldn't see a thing. So we settled for standing on the stairs where we could kind of see, but it would have to do. I was glad we'd got to see them earlier on in the soundcheck or I'd of been a bit disappointed due to our crap view. 


They were reeling off the hits one after another and the setlist was perfect. As the set went on it was quite emotional to think it was the last time we would ever see them. The heat was unbearable and did take the enjoyment away a little as I had to go out for air a couple of times before I fainted. A highlight for me was when they did 'The Morning Afterlife' which is one of my faves, so I was so happy to hear it live one last time. As the set closed we tried to get into the crowd to try and get into the atmosphere for those final moments. They ended with 'Matters at All' another fave and it really did feel like the end of an era and quite a sad moment as they said their thankyous and left the stage. They were faultless and the setlist was everything I could've hoped for. I do wish they weren't splitting up there's been so many great memories of the band over the years but they are certainly ending on a high as this tour will be definately be special. If you are a fan or even if you're not the tour is going on till 31st October and they're playing pretty much the whole of the UK, I'd definately recommended going to catch them for this final time, you won't be disappointed. 


I wore my leather look trousers I got from topshop a few years ago, I haven't worn them in forever as they're another item I forgot I owned. I did later regret wearing these as it was like a oven in the venue. I teamed it with a cream lace bodysuit that I got from a charity shop a couple of weeks ago. It is lined to the front with sheer lace to the back which I love. I wore my jeffrey Campbell nextranes and fedora and my vintage camouflage jacket as although the sun was out it was a little chilly. 




Earlier in the week Id received two gorgeous pairs of sunglasses from Jeepers Peepers. I went for the Carmen and Lexi as they were so unqiue and different to any other sunglasses I own. I'm a bit of an addict and have soo many pairs but you can never have enough sunglasses, right?! 


I'd had the lexis in my handbag hoping that the sun was going to come out so I could wear them and to my delight it did. So I got to wear them for a bit whilst we were outside, they have a metalwork frame in a really unusual design and they're really great quality. I'm going to keep them in my bag incase the sun decides to show its face again as I don't want to have to wait till spring to wear them again. 






Cream lace bodysuit - charity shop
Leather look trousers - Topshop
Jeffrey Campbell nextranes - Office
Vintage Camouflage jacket - Wild
Backpack - Urban Outfitters
Velvet Choker - Ebay
Lexi metalwork sunglasses - Jeepers Peepers
Cross ring - Primark 
Cross earrings - Primark


The sun came out the next day also, so I decided to take the carmens on their first outing. They are a cat eye shape with a tortoiseshell frame, they are absolutely gorgeous and I can't wait to wear these all next spring/summer too. Be sure to check out the Jeepers Peepers website and Instagram as there are so many gorgeous designs. It was so hard to pick just two and I definitely know where I'll be looking next time I need (well want) more sunnies. 




Carmen cateye sunglasses - Jeepers Peepers
 

No comments:

Post a Comment