Thursday 7 May 2015

Live at Leeds!!!


So this bank holiday I spent the Saturday in Leeds for their annual one day festival 'Live at Leeds'. I was hoping for sunshine and beer garden weather but this is England after all, so as expected it rained all day. I certainly regretted wearing white jeans after getting rain marks splashed all up the back of me after being there for less than an hour. After we collected our wristbands we went to a wetherspoons for a few cheap drinks to start the day and make a plan from the jam-packed schedule.


The worst thing about festivals is there's always clashes and this was no different. Alot of the bands we wanted to see clashed so we had to make some sacrifices and try and make a plan that would allow us to see as many acts as we could. With a lot of the venues being quite spread out it did make it harder to fit them all in, also with the terrible weather it was more off putting going between the venues.

We did end up having a few drinks before actually seeing any bands so the first act we saw was 'Saint Raymond' singer/songwriter Callum Burrows from my hometown Nottingham. I'd been a fan of his music for a while but had always missed him whenever he'd supported bands or artists I'd seen. I was really impressed with his vocals and the band playing with him sounded great live. I definitely want to try and catch him playing over the summer at festivals as he was fab and a lot of his songs have got a real summer vibe.





Next up we headed to catch 'Blossoms' a new favourite for me, they've supported a lot of bands over the last few months, although I have mostly missed them when it's been at gigs I've been to. I did get to see them at night and day in Manchester on nye which was amazing and at a small venue in Nottingham a couple of months back, so I was eager to see them again. They played brilliantly with a great set with a couple of news tracks thrown inAgain I'm excited to catch these over summer at festivals and can't wait for them to release an album. 




After that it was back to O2 Academy for 'Sunset Sons'. I've only recently came across this band and have been listening to their eps loads. Lead singer Rory's voice reminds me of early 'kings of leon' he has such a great tone and rasp to his voice which I love. They were really good live and had a lot of energy, even with Rory on keyboard throughout the set he was lively and engaged with the crowd. I'd definitely like to see them again and am looking forward to more releases and hopefully an album soon.





Then it was time for 'Kid Wave' I was quite drunk by this point so it's slightly vague but they were really good. Their sound is quite similar to 'Wolf Alice' with a girl/boy band and female vocals. They have soft melodies but also with a bit of grungy rock thrown in.



We were going to see 'The Cribs' for some of their set but as 'kid wave' were late it overran so we were cutting it fine as we wanted to see 'Slaves' that were a taxi ride away at the Brudnell social. So we decided to give them a miss. We also had to miss 'Swim Deep' which I was gutted about, I wish they hadn't made the best bands clash! As we left straight after kid wave's set we got to the Brudnell social with plenty of time to spare. It's just a shame we were so drunk by this point as I can barely remember 'Slaves' set, I do however know it was very lively as you'd expect from their punk sound and the crowd were pretty lairly. I'll definitely try and catch them again at some point (more sober) as from live videos I've seen they put on a good show!



All round it was a great day, bar the clashes but I guess that can't be helped with festivals. Due to the weather and rushing about all day I didn't get to take any outfit photos unfortunately (just a couple of drunk selfies) I'd even got a new outfit especially, but I'm sure I can blog it another time. It was my first festival of the year and I can't wait for more, I've got slamdunk festival at the end of the month, hopefully Leeds will be sunnier for that bank holiday!!

P.s I've got new hair (now a ginge)!!






No comments:

Post a Comment