Friday 27 February 2015

Years & Years @ Birmingham Institute!!

So unless you've been living under a rock you've probably heard of 'Years & Years' by now. But incase you haven't they are an electronica trio from London consisting of singer/keyboardist Olly Alexander, bassist Mikey Goldsworthy and synth player Emre Turkmen. After coming top spot in Radio 1's sound of 2015 they've been everywhere at the moment and seem to be popping up on every festival bill for this summer. I've became a little bit obsessed with them so was gutted when I went to look for tickets and all the tour was sold out. Luckily for me I saw someone on Twitter with two for the birmingham date, the lovely human didn't want anything for them as he had tickets for another date and just didn't want them to go to waste. I really wanted to pay for the tickets but he wouldn't accept anything, so I was even happier to have tickets for free!! It's nice to know there are some genuinely nice people in this world who don't care about making a profit like the touts do.

So on the day of the gig Alice and I were both working so I met her from work and got the trian together. We went for some food and a couple of drinks before then headed over to the Institute, just in time. We were cutting it fine as usual so didn't see the support. There was another gig going on in the venue so it was in the downstairs room 'The Library', which was a nice smallish room with a balcony. We managed to get quite a good spot even though we were running a tad late. The band started with lasers beaming out into the room with a intro type song. Followed by 'Take Shelter' and 'Desire' probably two of the most well known tracks from the set. 



Singer Olly Alexander's vocals are so unique and pure and he sounded just as good live as on record. The wavers in the way he sings gave me goosebumps, especially in the slower songs such as 'Real' and a slowed down version of 'eyes shut' where he took to the keyboard. They played a few new songs that I hadn't heard and referred to the crowd as their Guinea pigs as they hadn't played some of them before. I was happy to be a guinea pig, all the tracks sounded fab and I'm certainly excited for their debut album to drop. 


They ended the set on their new single 'king' with the energetic crowd singing back every word. Olly's cute dance moves really added to their live set and they looked like they were really enjoying themselves. Their songs have such a summer vibe and I really can't wait to see them again dancing around in a field at festivals this summer. I expect big things from them and they've just announced a short summer tour, so definitely snap up tickets if they're playing near you or catch them over the summer at a festivial!


For the gig I wore my bitching and Junkfood bodysuit with my leather look lime skirt. I wore fishnets, my chunky kick push boots, vintage bag and layered chain and choker to accessorise. Earlier in the day I bought this amazing coat from work it was originally £100 but had gone right down in the sale and was now £38 but with my discount it only cost £22.80, how could I refuse. I'd had my eye on it for a while so was super happy to get it for this price and I think it works so well with the lime of the skirt. I will definitely be blogging the coat again (with better pictures) I didn't have much time to take outfit pictures so they're not the best and it was after the gig so it was dark and I do look a little disheveled (sorry)!







Bodysuit - Bitching and Junkfood via ebay 
Lime leather look skirt -River Island 
Kick push boots - La Moda 
Dogtooth Coat - Oasis
Fishnets - Primark 
Layered chain - Forever 21 
Choker - Primark
Vintage bag - Cow Vintage 





No comments:

Post a Comment