Friday 1 September 2017

Leeds Festival 2017... Day One!!

So for August bank holiday I spent my weekend as I do every year at Leeds Festival, it's a yearly tradition and always one of my fave festivals. The line up was great as usual and although I was super excited for it I now have major Festival/summer blues, as it always marks the end of summer and summer plans which is rather depressing. We travelled up on Thursday afternoon and seemed to have even more luggage than usual, surprisingly we managed to set up camp and take our stuff in 2 trips, leaving us with some time for a few drinks before heading down to the arena to catch some bands playing. They usually just have bands on the BBC introducing stage but this year they had bands in the Festival republic tent, aswell as things going on in the alternative tent and Relentless stage as usual. We didn't get chance to see all the bands playing but we managed to catch most of High Tyde's set, a band I've really liked this last year or two. We also got to see Pigeon Detectives, a band that absolutely remind me of my youth, I'm so glad they're back on the scene and gigging again as I love them and their energy and they still have it ten years on. We danced the night away down at the Piccadilly party and relentless stage before calling it a night ready for the first day of music.







As I had so many outfits and face gems/glitter to wear I made a bit more of an effort than I usually would for the Thursday and wore my tassel playsuit I've been waiting to wear all summer (I still didn't get any full length pictures in it oops). I accessorised with my unicorn Bombshell earrings which looked great with the colours in the playsuit. I kindly got sent a lovely sparkly package from FunkOnwhich included this amazing all in one stick on face gem. I love it because it's in one piece, as sometimes individual gems can get a bit fiddly, but this is so quick and simple to stick on. I love the colours in this one and they match my hair perfectly, I thought it matched the colours in the playsuit too which is why I went for this one. I did have a couple of other gems/bindis at the side but lost one whilst setting up camp so I had to change it slightly and re-add some plain gems. Funkon have loads of fab bindis and face gems and if you use code 'Ash10' at the checkout you can get 10% off orders. I went for blue/silver eyeshadows and added some mixed blue/purple glitter under my eyes to tie in with the colours. I finished off with lime Crime teacup velvetine lipstick with lime Crime diamond crusher lip topper in choke over the top.



Tassel Playsuit - Pretty Little Thing
Unicorn XL earrings - Bombshell
One piece Festival fusion Face gem - Funkon (use code 'Ash10' at the checkout for 10% off orders)
Other gems/glitter - Ebay
Lime Crime velvetine in Teacup - Lime Crime
Lime Crime Diamond crusher in choke - Lime Crime



On Friday we tried to make it down to the arena for 12 for a band, but it was never gonna happen so we ended up going down a couple of hours later for first band of the day Vant on the main stage. I absolutely love these guys, although I was shocked to see lead singer Matty had cut all his lucious locks off. Their album has definitely been a fave of mine this last few months, I've seen them a few times now and I love their energy on stage. We then headed over to the Nme stage for Fickle Friends, I've been loving them this past year or so and can't wait for them to release an album. They have a very retro 80s vibe which I love and their songs are just proper feel good pop songs. 





Next up were Against the current on the main stage, a band I got into a couple of years ago when they supported All Time Low. I love a female front woman in a band and it was lovely to see so many females on the line up this year as there often isn't many, so it was very girl power, especially on the Friday. Singer Chrissy looked fab in rose gold metallic trousers and her vocals were on point, she brought so much energy to the stage and engaged with the crowd throughout which was really fun.



After that it was a strong and heavy set from Architects, again on the main stage. I've seen them a couple of times before but have listened to them a lot more recently so enjoyed the set even more. They sounded great and the whole crowd went mad for them. They ended the set with an emotional tribute to band member Tom who sadly passed away last year and I was literally almost in tears, with the crowd chanting his name and them going into 'Gone with the wind' it really was a goosebumps moment.



For Friday's outfit it was Rainbows galore, basing my outfit around the most amazing rainbow Kimono. I had already wore it for TRNSMT Festival and don't like to wear the same Festival outfit twice but the Kimono was just too good not to wear again. So I changed the rest of the outfit but still went for rainbow overload. I got this fab two piece from I saw it first with reversible sequins with gold on one side and rainbow on the other. The shorts aren't as high as I usually like but they weren't too bad with the crop top. As I didn't want to have my whole stomach out I teamed it with some blue fishnet tights underneath. I would later regret this decision as sequins and fishnets do not mix well, I kept getting bloody stuck to everything and going to the toilet was a nightmare!! 










Although I had curled my hair and it was still pretty curly I covered a lot of it up with a rainbow turban, I've literally had it for years and never worn it so I finally decided it was the day for it. They're also great for when your hair is looking pretty crap after a couple of days at a Festival, so I think I'll be taking them to future festivals as I have a few I'm yet to wear. I wore my matching sequin bumbag and a sequin backpack, you can never have too many sequins right. The weather was actually dry and we didn't really need wellies but as that's all I packed I wore these clear short boot ones with some glittery socks underneath. I also added these elastic pom-poms to the laces which are actually key rings, they're like the toys you used to get as a kid with eyes on, I just thought they'd make a cool touch and snazz up the wellies. For accessories I just wore earrings but the best earrings a gal can get, my absolute fave Bombshell rainbow earrings. 








For my face I had a rainbow face gem that I actually made myself, it was a bit tricky and very trial and error but I was pretty pleased with the result and it stayed on all day, so winning!! I added a few extra gems down my nose and to the side of my face and added lots of glitter mixes under my eyes giving a rainbow finish. I had green/pink eyeshadow and pink glitter lips to finish off the look. And finally I know pineapples were band at the festival this year (I know, weird right?!) but we managed to get these disco ball pineapple cups in and they were the ultimate sassy but practical accessory, who doesn't love a novelty cup?!




Rainbow maxi Kimono - Jaded London
Rainbow Shorts - I Saw It First
Rainbow top - I Saw It First
Fishnet tights - Primark
Wellies - Primark
Turban - Ebay
Socks - New Look
Bumbag - Skinnydip London 
Backpack - Skinnydip London 
Rainbow Xl Earrings - Bombshell
All in one Face gem - made by me
Other gems/glitter - Ebay
Pineapple disco ball cup - Urban Outfitters 




(Above Photo credit- David Harrison )

The next band of the day was The Sherlocks on the Nme stage, I've seen them loads over the last couple of years and really love their sound. Their album was finally released before Leeds which was great to have in time for the Festival. They had a huge crowd with everyone jumping around throughout, they always put on a lively gig.




(Above photo credit - David Harrison)

We then headed back to the main stage for a fave of mine Blossoms, I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen them live now but always love their set. They have such a retro sound but essentially big indie/pop tunes that always get a massive singalong. After a tip off about a secret set at the pit from 'The Prettyboys' we headed over and to our joy it was as expected Don Broco. I absolutely love them so was buzzing, the tent soon filled up and it was the rowdiest crowd I'd seen all day with mosh pits all over the place. Again they have changed their look which my friend told me they do every album and with all the promo etc which I didn't realise and it is a really clever idea, it was a proper 90s vibe more so from singer Rob with his curly hair, cap, round sunnies, vintage tee and high waisted jeans. It was only a short set but they crammed in a lot, with new songs and a few classics finishing on Festival fave 'Thug workout' where everyone went mental. I definitely want to try and go to their Alexandra palace gig in November so hoping I'll be able to. The new stuff is sounding amazing with some heavier riffs which I am loving, I can't wait for the album to drop!






After that it was back to the main stage for Liam Gallagher, I do love him and he's bloody hilarious but the set did get a bit boring. I do like his solo stuff but it seemed pretty obvious the whole crowd was there for Oasis songs and the crowd was pretty quiet until he played them. We stayed for a chunk of the set but then headed over to the dance stage for Charli XCX. The tent was absolutely packed from front to back, I love Charli and her upbeat pop songs are just what at you need at a Festival especially when you're flagging a bit. The whole tent was dancing and signing along and it was such a fun vibe in the tent.







Towards the end of Charli's set we ran across to the Nme tent for Halsey, I've been a fan of her for a while and she's only ever done one uk tour that I'm aware of and it was impossible to get tickets. So I was super excited to see her, I loved her first album but I have had her second on repeat since it was released earlier this year. Her husky voice is so unique and she sounded amazing live. She's just so fricking cool aswell, I want to be her friend! She had some fab stage decor too with roses and flowers and lots of smoke and fire which looked great. Surprisingly the tent wasn't very busy but she was on at the same time as Muse and I'm not sure she's that massive over here just yet, but she really should be, I was proper fangirling over her. I just hope she tours the uk again soon.







After that it was headliners Haim on the Nme stage, we really aren't fans of Muse so wasn't bothered about seeing them but Haim did clash with The Hunna, I love them but the Haim girls won as I haven't seen them for a couple of years and was gutted when they cancelled their Leeds appearance last year. I absolutely love those gals and I so want to be in the band, they're so bloody fun and always look amazing. This being no exception with them all wearing pvc bottoms, Danielle and Alana both had trousers and Este a mini skirt, which later caused us to be in absolute stitches when she got down into the crowd and accidentally showed us all her pants, then apologised if 'anyone saw her vagina'. They all have such fun personalities which shows so well in their live shows and they always engage with the crowd. They did a lot of their older stuff which I was really pleased about as their debut album is full of bangers. The new songs went down just as well and they played to a really full tent. They were the perfect end to a very girl power filled day! We ended the night in the alternative tent dancing away to Blossoms dj set for Propaganda!





No comments:

Post a Comment