Saturday 16 April 2016

2Q Festival 2016 & What I wore!!!

So last weekend I went to my first festival of the year and a brand new festival '2Q Festival' in Derby. I live between Derby and Nottingham and the music scene in Derby has much to be desired, any local gigs that I usually go to are in Nottingham as there's very rarely anyone decent playing in Derby and the music venues they do have are tiny. So it was really refreshing when I saw that there was going to be an all day festival in Derby. The line up consisted of a lot of up and coming and local bands but there were also some higher profile acts on the bill including headliners 'We are the ocean' and 'Reverend and the makers'. For £20 for 6 venues and music from 2pm till almost midnight you can't really moan!


when I woke up it seemed a nice day so I decided to go for a stripey playsuit I got from Primark a couple of weeks back. It came with a skinny black belt but I teamed it with my fave vintage heart detail belt instead. The weather did not last and it did chuck it down from the afternoon onwards. But I am fully embracing any sun and trying to get more of my summer wardrobe out as soon as possible. There wasn't really much to add to the outfit so I went for a tattoo choker, fringe bag, frilly socks and my chunky platform sandals. Finishing off with my new septum clicker and a silver head chain.











Playsuit - Primark
Vintage belt - Cow Vintage 
Frilly socks - Oasis
Platform sandals - La Moda
Choker - Topshop
Fringe Bag - Oasis
Head chain - Dorothy Perkins
Septum clicker - Ebay







So I'm actually rubbish at taking pictures when I go anywhere and my cameras always rubbish at gigs so I don't have many pictures of the bands. But here's a rundown of my day, who I saw and a couple of blurry pictures I do have. We arrived at about half 2 and went to see our first band of the day 'Kassassin Street', I really liked their sound and the frontman had a really energetic vibe swaying around with some fabulous mancesque moves with his maracas. I'll definitely be listening to them on Spotify and look forward to them releasing more stuff and hopefully I'll catch them live again somewhere soon. 


Next up we went to The Hairy dog which has a newly refurbished gig room which was a really good space, it would be nice to see more gigs put on there now. We watched 'Trash' there who again were really good, it's nice to see bands that you maybe wouldn't of usually seen, especially as a lot of times they may turn out to be your new favourite band and hit the bigtime, everyone starts somewhere afterall! It was actually only a couple of years ago I saw 'Catfish and the bottlemen' at a tiny gig in a pub in Derby of all places, and now look at them!!!


At this point it started raining so we ran to the next venue and took cover in the Old Bell, we'd had a few drinks and we got so busy chatting that we actually missed most of the band that we'd came to see 'strange bones' we did catch a couple of songs and they sounded pretty good. After that we headed back over to the venue to watch 'Dead!' and make sure we got a spot for a new fave of mine who were on after 'The Sherlocks'. I love these guys at the minute and can't wait for them to release more material. It was definitely one of the busiest and best sets of the day with the building full and everyone singing along. 


Afterwards it was back to The Hairy Dog for another band I've been liking at the minute Manchester band 'Spring King' they did support The Courteeners in December but I'm always late so missed them. They have such a fun summer sound and it was nice as they all sing rather than just one person, it was also unusual as the main singer in the band actually plays the drums too, he must have some serious concentration skills!


Next up were a band that shouldn't really work on paper metal/grime band 'Hacktivist' I had only briefly listened to them before the festival but I was pleasantly surprised and they were one of my favourite bands of the day. The vocals are mainly rapping but also have some clean and harsh vocals, which actually work so well together combined with the heavy guitar riffs. They absolutely had the crowd jumping front to back, with regular mosh pits forming throughout, they did a cover of Kanye/Jay Z 'N****s in Paris and it went off in there! They had a great energy and I'll definitely be checking them out again in future.


To end the festival we had a decision to make as the main bands we wanted to see all clashed, 'Little Comets', 'We are the ocean' and 'Reverand and the makers'. As we was already at the venue for 'We are the ocean we decided to stay for the first half of them, they did however ruin this plan when they came on over 20 minutes late. We stayed for a few songs and I did get to hear a few of my favourites luckily. They were great as usual and I was sad to leave but banger after banger awaited us!


We rushed over to the venue to catch the rest of 'Reverend and the makers' I used to love them years back then hadn't really seen them for ages till the last couple of years and I'd forget how fun they were. Frontman Jon McClure is literally one of the funniest people ever and was sporting a fabulous moustache, he was cracking us up with his ones liners and constant 'banger after banger' between songs. It was a great set with actual banger after banger with all the classic tunes, they played longer than expected to a jam packed room, so we got to see even more than expected, winner! It was a great end to the festival as they are just such a fun singalong band and remind me of my younger days. We ended our night in our local club, it was a fab day and really nice to have something local, same time next year 2Q Festival!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment