Wednesday 13 June 2018

Neighbourhood Weekender 2018 - Sunday!!

The Sunday of the festival was a bit more chilled with not quite as much to try and squeeze in. We actually made it on time for the first band of the day Sea Girls, then they ended up coming on half an hour late!! I’d only recently heard of them but really liked their songs and they have a really fun summery vibe. They were really good live and I really enjoyed the set, I’m definitely going to try and see them on their headline tour this autumn. 





We then headed over to the Viola beach stage for what I thought was going to be Judas, they were never originally on the line up so I was really pleased when I noticed they were on the schedule. When someone else came on stage I rechecked the schedule on the app and Judas were no longer on it. There was no update about this or nothing on the band’s or festival’s socials as far as I could see, so that was quite disappointing and a bit strange. It did however mean we could now watch Black Honey on the main stage, who would’ve clashed with them. These are another band I really like and front woman Izzy just oozes cool, she was looking fabulous in a silver metallic get up. I’m really looking forward to their debut album finally being released in autumn. 



For day two of the festival I went for a slightly more low key look, but of course there was still lots of sequins and glitter. I went for a rainbow stripe sequin halter neck top with tassel sequin detail which I absolutely love. As the tassels are quite long it does kind of cover the bottoms but I wore black sequin tassel shorts, some black fishnet tights and black boots. I wasn’t sure what the weather was going to be like and couldn’t really find a cover up that matched in my wardrobe so I ended up panic buying this black mesh feather trim long kimono from pretty little thing. It was mega long so I had to do a quick turnup as I only got it the day before we went. I think it worked well as it’s quite plain but the feathers still gave it a bit of sass, I also really like the bell style sleeves on it.













As the kimono was black I wanted to give the outfit some extra sparkle so wore these amazing gold sequin tassel wings by Savage Rainbow. I actually won these in a competition by Sacred Hawk and couldn’t wait to wear them. They’re a bit fiddly to get on and off but once they’re on they look great, they hang down the back giving a drape effect but then when you lift your arms they look like glittery wings. The only thing I will say the kimono and wing combo did make it very difficult when going to the toilet! I used my pink shell bag again and kept accessories minimal due to the style of the top, so just wore some statement silver star earrings. 















I decided to do space buns and glitter roots and did a bit of glitter on the side of my face going onto the side of my hair for some extra sparkle. As I went for rainbow make up/glitter on the Saturday I thought I’d mix it up and go for blues/turquoises. I did add a bit more rainbow with some star stickers on my chest down each side of the top. I realised when I looked back at the pictures the lighting wasn’t great and made my face look a bit orange but they’re the only outfit pics I took so they’ve had to do!









Sequin top - Topshop
Feather trim kimono - Pretty Little Thing
Sequin tassel shorts - Primark
Sequin wings - Savage Rainbow @ Sacred Hawk also available at Missguided and Asos
Shell bag - Skinnydip
Star XL Earrings - No Basic Bombshell
Sunglasses - Primark
Boots - Ebay
Fishnets - Primark
Pompom bobbles - New Look
Face gems - Primark
Glitter/stickers - Ebay/craft shops 











There were a couple of other bands I would’ve like to have seen inbetween people on the main stage but the times clashed more than on the Saturday so it wasn’t really worth it, so we just stayed there for a bit. Next up was Tom Grennan, I’ve been a fan of him for a while now so was really looking forward to his set. He always cracks me up when he talks too, he has such an amazing voice and always puts on a really fun engertic set. I really can’t wait for the album to finally drop in July as it’s been pushed back a couple of times now, so I’m looking forward to seeing him again over the summer at festivals and hearing some new tracks live.  







Then it was DMA’s another band I’ve really liked over the last couple of years. It’s hard to believe they’re not from Manchester as they have that typical Manc swagger and the songs sound just like something you’d hear from the stone roses. The Aussie band have not long released their second album and it’s really good, so it was nice to hear some new tracks live aswell as all the bangers from the first album. We then headed over to the Viola beach stage to catch a bit of Jerry Williams, I really like her sweet retro sounding voice and she sounded great live. Then back to the main stage for The Sherlocks, I’ve seen these guys quite a lot over the last couple of years and they always put on a great set, there was a lively crowd with big singalongs. 











We left part way through the set to go to the second stage for Pigeon Detectives, however as we approached the tent we realised we probably wasn’t going to get in. The crowd was massive and people were pushing and shoving trying to get in. We tried to squeeze our way in but with a full pint, my long kimono and sequin wings it proved quite difficult, as I was trying to hold them up so they didn’t get pulled and not spill my drink all over me. They came on a bit late and we just managed to get as they came on but we couldn’t see a thing and everyone was just pushing and shoving and it wasn’t really enjoyable. So we ended up coming out of the crowd after about 10 minutes. I was really disappointed as it’s one of the bands I was most looking forward to, I’d expected it to be busy for them as it was in a tent, but it was just ridiculous. 



After that fiasco we decided to get some food and have a sit down, as the timings were a bit off on the second stage now we wasn’t sure when Beth Ditto was actually on but went and watched some of the set, but as it was behind we didn’t get to see as much of her as I would’ve liked. It was then time for Blossoms on the main stage, one of my fave bands. I’ve been a big fan of these guys for a few years now and have seen them at so many festivals and gigs, but always get excited to see them again. It was also the first time I’ve seen them live since their second album was released so it was really nice to hear the new tracks live. Their set is always full of bangers and huge singalongs from the crowd. They have such a fun retro sound and it’s always great seeing them live.









We then went back to the Viola beach stage to catch the Blinders, I really liked these guys after seeing them support The view last year. They have a great energy and the crowd was all jumping around with people on shoulders and singing along. I definitely want to try and catch them on their headline tour in autumn as I think their definitely one to watch! Finally headlining the main stage was Noel Gallagher’s High flying birds. I really like Noel but sometimes some of his set can be a bit boring, of course the Oasis songs got the best reception and the crowd went into huge singalongs. It was a really good set but there were parts of it which were quite slow and not what you needed to keep you going at the end of the festival. Maybe I’m just getting old now but I can find myself flagging a bit if you don’t have a lively set to sing and dance along to. 









We decided we’d head back to the hotel and get some food rather than go out so we were fresh to do something on the Monday. However it was a nightmare trying to get taxis again and we ended up having to walk back again which well and truly wore me out. Overall it was a really great festival, the vibe was pretty chilled and it was a nice size. As far as I could tell it didn’t seem to be full of idiots either, which seems to be the case at a lot of festivals these days. The line up was great for the price and I’d definitely recommend it, I’m looking forward to seeing who’s playing next year already!!


No comments:

Post a Comment