Sunday 3 June 2018

Neighbourhood Weekender 2018 - Saturday!!!

So I’ve came to write this post and realised I haven’t posted in 4 months!! I’ve really took my eye off blogging lately and kinda lost my passion for it a bit, but I’m gonna try and get back into it and what better way than a favourite of mine a festival post! Summer is my favourite time of the year anyway but it’s definitely easier to try and take blog pictures with better weather (some of the time) and I much prefer summer clothes. Festival season is also my favourite time of the year and although I don’t actually have many pencilled in this year I’ve still been looking forward to dressing up all sparkly and fancy at any opportunity I can. I’m gonna split this into two posts as I’m definitely gonna ramble on and I took a lot of pictures.

So for my first festival of the year it was Neighbourhood Weekender, a brand new festival in Warrington from the people who have done Neighbourhood Festival, the one day Festival in Manchester for the last couple of years. I had been to the one day festival before and it was a really good line up and decent price. So when the weekender was announced I was super interested as it had a great line up and at around £100 for a weekend ticket it was a bargain really. As expected it sold out straight away but I thought I’d try and get a ticket nearer the time. Some extra day tickets got released and as it was the week before my birthday my boyfriend said he’d get us tickets for my birthday. It didn’t really matter we got day tickets as it isn’t a camping festival anyway, we just didn’t get a wristband :-( (which I do enjoy collecting each summer). 



We drove up after work on the Friday as the festival started at 12:30 on the Saturday and I knew I’d be stressed trying to get ready and drive up in time Saturday morning. I’m so glad we did this as I gave myself 3 hours to get ready and was still rushing then we was struggling to try and get an uber. You was only allowed small bags no bigger than an a4 piece of paper and no backpacks, this was the biggest dilemma for me as I’m so used to taking a little backpack and a bumbag to festivals. So I had to try and squeeze everything into my small shell bag then kept my phone and purse in my bumbag. I was expecting it to be a nightmare getting in especially with it being a new event, but it was pretty smooth getting in, you just had to empty everything out of your bag which was a bit of a pain when you’ve squeezed it into every nook and cranny of the bag. However it was done pretty quickly and we were actually on time for the first band of the day which I think is a first for me!!




The first band of the Saturday was Yonaka on the second stage which was a tent, they’ve supported a few bands I’ve seen lately but as I’m always late I’ve missed them everytime. I really like their songs so was really looking forward to seeing them. I love a female singer in a band anyway and she’s got a really unique voice and they’ve got some really catchy tunes. I’ll definitely try and see them live again. After that we headed over to the third stage that was named the Viola Beach stage, I think this was a really nice nod to the Viola Beach boys with it being their hometown, it had the rainbow umbrellas on the side of the stage like the one in their single cover which was a nice touch. The first band of the day on this stage were Blackwaters, another band that have supported bands I’ve seen but always missed (I’m useless). I really liked these guys live, they had a real swagger about them and a great energy running around the stage. 






I wasn’t sure how extra to go outfit wise as I thought with it being quite an indie festival I might stand out like a sore thumb in all my glitter and sequins, but then I thought what the hell who cares if I do. So I went for rainbows and lots of sequins of course. I’d had my eye on the Jaded London spike sequin co ord modelled by Mika Francis and absolutely loved it, so I made a bit of a panic purchase and got it. Obviously she looked amazing with nothing underneath the skirt as it has like an open side with chain fastenings. I really didn’t feel comfortable wearing it just open so tried it with loads of things underneath, but wasn’t sure if anything looked quite right. In the end I got some basic black shorts to go under it and wore it with fishnets, although it doesn’t quite have the same effect I definitely felt better with something under it. It is a mini skirt with spikey multicoloured drop sequins all over, then the top is a drape front with chain around the neck and the back in the same sequins. They do a cape in it aswell which I would’ve loved but I couldn’t really afford all three. 
























So I decided to rewear one of my fave festival pieces from last year my rainbow sequin maxi kimono from Jaded London, although I like to always have new outfits every year I do absolutely love this and only wore it a couple of times and as it matched so well with the outfit I thought why not just wear it again! As it had rained on the Friday I wasn’t sure what the ground would be like so wore some black patent boots. I went for some extra rainbow with a cute sequin cat ears headband. For my make up I went all rainbow too with a face gem I made last year and another I’d brought from AliExpress. I also used one I’d made on my chest then covered myself in glitter of course. As I couldn’t use my sequin backpack I wanted to, I took my pink skinnydip shell bag so it still matched and my festival must have sequin bumbag. I also only realised when looking back at these pictures bloody Suggs from Madness is photo bombing all my shots, fuming!!!

















Sequin kimono - Jaded London (This years version here)
Sequin skirt - Jaded London
Sequin top - Jaded London
Black shorts - Pretty Little Thing 
Boots - Ebay
Fishnets - Primark
Shell Bag - Skinnydip
Sequin bumbag - Skinnydip
Sunglasses - Primark
Cat ears headband - New Look
Glitter - Ebay/craft shops
Face/chest gems - made by me/AliExpress 











Jazz likes wearing fun clothes too (good job going out with me) and although he doesn’t always wear as extra things as me he didn’t let the side down with this fabulous two piece suit from Asos. I think we co-ordinated pretty well and lots of people came up to us saying they loved our outfits and asked for pictures, something he wasn’t used to at all. So I made him pose for a outfit pic, blogger style, it’s only fair after him being my photographer for the day!!







After that we headed back to the third stage to catch a bit of Ten Tonnes, then headed over to the main stage for a fave of mine Fickle Friends. I’ve really liked them the last couple of years and their songs are so summery and catchy. It was the first time I’ve seen them since their debut albums been out so it was nice to hear some new tracks too. It was a really nice size festival, it wasn’t too big and the stages were only a 5-10min walk apart, and as I wanted to see a lot of bands that ended as others started it did mean there was a lot of toing and froing, so it meant we got chance to rush across between stages and catch a bit of everyone I wanted to see.







We then watched some of The Big Moon, I really like these girls on record but they don’t have much going on live and as much as I like them it was a little bit boring. We watched 20 minutes or so then headed over to catch some of Lewis Capaldi. The tent was very full, I’d only recently listened to his music but really like his husky tone. He sounded so good live and I’d definitely like to try and catch him live again. We then went over to the Viola beach stage to see Hey Charlie, again I’d only recently heard of them but really liked them, they had a lot of energy on stage and they all had matching rainbow jumpers and pleated skirts on, so of course I instantly liked them more!














Then it was time for Reverend & the makers, you know it’s always gonna be a good show with Rev and as expected it was banger after banger with a massive crowd and singalong. He always cracks me up with his one liners. After that it was Miles Kane, I’ve always been a big fan of him so was really looking forward to seeing him. I’m not gonna lie I was quite drunk by this point so can’t remember it as much as I’d of liked. But it was so good to see him live again after quite a few years and as always it was a lively energetic set with pints flying everywhere. I’m really excited for his new album and am hoping he does another tour later in the year, as I missed out on this tour. 















We then watched a bit of Cabbage but again it’s a little vague but I’m pretty sure It was a good set. Then Circa Waves were on the main stage, another band I love and that always have a fun summery set, they have so many bangers and there’s always a massive singalong so it’s always a good show. I wanted to catch some of the Pale White but there was massive queues for the toilet and bars at this point so we ended up missing them. Jake Bugg came on stage whilst we were queuing so we still got to hear him but didn’t get to fully watch the whole set. Again he’s someone I really like on record but can be a bit boring live, he does have a great voice live though. 









We then went back over to the tent for Sundara Karma, a late addition that were added after Kodaline had to pull out. I was really happy they were added as I’ve been a big fan for the last couple of years and love their catchy songs. The tent was packed and I’d like to say I remember more but the wine had well and truly got me by this point! 





Then headlining the main stage were The Courteeners, although I’ve had a love/hate relationship with them the last couple of years after the departure of their bassist, I still bloody love all the songs and can’t get away from that. They always do a great set and the crowd always goes mental and it’s just a massive singalong throughout. They did a good setlist and I was really pleased to hear old favourite ‘Take over the world’ as it seems forever since I heard it live. It was a really good end to the first day of the festival.









We then ended up walking into town and going to a bar that Tim Burgess was djing at, but after a couple of hours we realised we hadn’t eaten all day and as the booze started to wear off we suddenly got starving so decided to head back to the hotel and try and get some food. The taxis queues were mental in town and we couldn’t get an uber so ended up having a massive trek which took about an hour, which killed the end of the night a bit, but we still had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment